Thursday, October 6, 2016

dev blog #5 - animations

since mouse point-click controls are implemented I figured the game needs some sort of quick-menu to let you access the important menus.
so I coded  a rotating "revolver" menu that you can call with right mouseclick (or Q) and control with the mouse wheel (or WASD)




the menu icons are temporary until I get the time to make some individual icons.

animations?!

while working on the new inventory design I rendered a 3 seconds animation in DAZ3D which took over 4h for a resolution of 480p :O
the intention was to test if and how I could integrate animated scenes to the game so I needed an animation first (duh!)

with 30 images per second the animation is made up of 90 images which I can easily integrate into the GameMaker engine (runs at 30 FPS naturally) but the downside of it is high load times to the game as these 3 seconds of 480p animation totaled in 75MB of data already

you can check out the animation running on GameMaker engine in this "small" test built:
controls: +/- changes the animation speed by a small amount
LINK: https://mega.nz/#!chdlmaJD

here is a crappy GIF conversion of the animation (GIFs run at 10 frames/s that's why it looks so slow)
[animated GIF] animation test


I'm not sure if animated scenes are viable at this point but I'll keep looking into the various possibilities of implementation.

the next tech demo is right around the corner, I just want to finish some more features first before unleashing it onto the public so there is more to try out than in the previous tech demo

No comments:

Post a Comment